Sunday, February 26, 2012

Krajcik Chapter 9

How is student understanding assessed?
In a project-based science environment the process of student assessment can be thought of in three- step procedure: gathering information to judge students' learning, organizing and assembling assessment data, evaluating the the assessment information to make judgements about student growth.
Joseph Krajcik provides numerous examples  for gathering information on student learning:
administering tests, quizzes, keeping anecdotal records, using checklists, interviews, using concept maps and conducting performance based assessments.
From all the suggestions in gathering information I find especially interesting checklists and interviews.
Those types of assessment are completely unfamiliar to me. I have never experienced them before, so it would be really helpful to keep a record on my students understanding, participation and skills they demonstrate in the classroom.  It seems to be very practical as checklists save teacher time.

Classroom interviews would especially help me find out my students understanding, the knowledge and skills they bring in to the classroom and the possible problems they might be having in learning the material.  Information from these interviews would help me form my instruction and adjust it to diverse students and their needs. I would also be able to help students improve their learning if they did have problems in understanding.
I have learned from this article that there are many ways for me as a teacher to prepare assessment of my students.  Beside the regular tests and quizzes that I was used to through out my elementary and high school education, I could have them write journals, make psychical products, drawings, videos and multimedia documents to present their learning.
I like the idea of peer assessment as students can learn from each other and they will be more motivated when they have to present their finding in front of their peers. Also exchanging ideas and suggestions between groups seems to be very helpful in students further refining their knowledge and explanations.
These type of assessments that are advocated in project based science also encourage students  to take responsibility for their own learning and to set personal goals.
I find especially important the idea that assessment in project-based science allows for differences between individual students abilities and that it focuses on student improvement rather than on comparison with others.  So the goal is not a competition between the students but rather gradual development of understanding and skills backed by teacher's feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment