Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Everything for a Dog by Ann M. Martin


"Everything for a Dog" is novel about love that develops between a child and a dog. The story is told in three alternating points of view. The first story is of Bone, stray dog, who after living briefly with three different families, wonders the countryside season after season, picking food from garbage and searching for permanent home. The second story is of Henry,young boy who desperately wants a dog. His parents do not share his idea. The third story is of Charlie, whose brother dies by accident at a young age. Charlie's dog helps him go through that difficult period of his life.   As a reader I felt very touched by the difficulties the stray dog Bone goes through until he finally get the committed and loving owner little boy Henry.  The story makes you think about all those stray dogs on the street or animal shelters that await somebody to adopt them.  For some reason I feel more for suffering of animals then humans as animals have less choices and power to change things in their lives. Our pets are especially dependent on us.  I bought my dog in Israel and my parents were not too eager to bring it back to Bosnia with us once the time to move back came. I managed to convince my mother to bring the dog with us. The only reason mother was concerned was that back in Bosnia we live in apartment and that is not big enough space to a dog of German Shepard size.  When I was about to immigrate to the US I took serious care to bring my dog with me.  I could never imagine leaving her behind. After certain time you feel that shepard dogs  are so intelligent. They are like humans in dog's fur.The books shows us how dogs can enrich our life and help us heal in times when we experience serious losses and problems in life.
I would have a discussion  in the classroom about Henry, Bone and Charlie.  They have different stories but they share something in common.  We would determine in which way they are similar when it comes to their dreams and hopes and in which ways they are different.

No comments:

Post a Comment