Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Anne Frank Case by Susan Goldman Rubin


In this non fiction picture book we are told a story of Simon Wiesenthal, holocaust survivor from Galicia, nowadays part of Ukraine. He survived several concentration camps and in 1947 he co-founded the Jewish Historical Documentation Center in Linz, Austria. Later he opened one in Vienna and then he dedicated most of his life tracking and hunting down  Nazi war criminals.  Part of his quest was to find the Gestapo officer who arrested Anne Frank. It was very interesting to find all the details of Wiesenthal's life, his search for the Nazis. I read the Diary of Anne Frank, but I did not know that it was Wiesenthal that was searching for the officer who captured her. I have heard of Wiesenthal but I never realized that his documentation center was actually in Vienna. I thought it was in America. This book gives a lot of historical information and it would be  useful tool in teaching history of the  WWII. It further inspired me to look up Wiesenthal's biography and  everything he has done during his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment