Saturday, June 4, 2011

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen


In this story young girl goes with her father deep into the forest to look for owls. Almost all children look forward to when they are old enough to do a certain activity, and that is how narrator of this story feels about it. The girl knows that she cannot talk when going owling, and she struggles to keep her thoughts inside her.  Through the descriptive language of the story I felt as though I am on the owling adventure with the girl and her father. The author has effectively detailed the young girl's experience  with exploring the forest with her father. I loved that the story was told from the young girl's perspective as she sees the winter world and the magical experience there. The book made me think of my childhood experiences with my parents, grandmother and friends when we went to explore the nature. One memory I recall was  in the 80's when we traveled from my home town  of Banja Luka to the place where mother was born. The little town of Glamoc was secluded high on the mountain plato far away from everything. On our way there we would pass through the deep and long evergreen forests. Father would stop the car in the dark if we would spot a wild animal so that I could watch. Then there were all those secrets and legends associated with small town. Apparently,  in the town where mother grew up, there was a big long stone, like a monument that stood erected in one village near by. There was a legend surrounding the stone, that when people tried to cut it, it actually bled. That type of stories initiate all sorts of curiosity. It is a nice memory I keep  whenever I think of mother's birthplace and travel to the Croatian seaside. That village  out of Glamoc is exactly on the way to the Croatian coast.
After reading the story I would divide children into groups. Their assignment would be to recall important story details that explain how to go owling.  They would have to describe how to dress, how to behave, and which sounds to make.  Then we would use the story details to compile  a list of things they know about the  great horned owl.  After they gather the facts they would share it with their classmates the following day.
I would also have children write about the special things and adventures they did with their parents, relatives or friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment