Thursday, June 2, 2011

Luba; The Angel of Bergen- Belzen




Who is Luba Tryszynska? Just an immigrant from Poland to America? Why did they give her the nickname the angel of Bergen- Belsen? From what I read in this picture book about her just made even more clear to me that in times of war, difficult times there are some people who stand out, and show unbelievable courage and humanity. Judging from our safe life and homes it is not easy to fully grasp what it meant to risk your own life to save and hide some children in the concentration camp under Germans. For the guards and soldiers in the camp life of the prisoners did not have much value. People were shot for simple trifle things like asking for a piece of bread.
Children that Luba saved stayed in contact with her and it was very interesting to me that they met for many reunions after the war ended. I even came across blogs of the people that knew her and wrote about her recent death in 2009. What was exceptionally touching was what the youngest child she saved said about her:
" My mother always told me that she gave birth to me but Luba gave me life." I coud not help but feel great respect for such a woman.
After reading this picture book I would have children write what were some moments in their life where they had to show some courage and persistence.

No comments:

Post a Comment