Friday, June 3, 2011

Sitti's Secrets by Naomi Shihab Nye


Mona's grandmother lives on the other side of the world and there are many things dividing them- physical things like oceans and land and fish and cities and clotheslines. She visits her grandmother and even though they do not speak the same language they develop the bond. Mona's grandmother probably lives in the West Bank in the Middle East. This is a great book for children who have extended family abroad. The story touches me immediately as it makes me recall my childhood, my grandmother who plays a big part in my life.
 My grandmother did not live abroad, but now that I immigrated to the US she does and I often wish I could visit her more often. To all my relative I say I wish there was a magic door, that I could open and just go visit them, stay for a coffee, dinner, and socializing and then come back to US through that same door. If only distance was not so huge between America and Europe.
My understanding is that author recalls her childhood as her father is Palestinian and she must have visited her extended family  back in the Middle East. I understand why she would wish to write a letter to the president as a child. Unfortunately, conflict between Palestinians and Israelis is still ongoing one.  I wish peace would come to that part of world.
After reading this book I would have children write a journal about one relative that they really love and that affects their life, be it a grandmother or someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment