Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Little Island by Margaret Wise Brown

Mrs.Brown book visits the island in different seasons in fair weather and foul.  She describes the plants growing on the island and the animals that live or visit there which makes me feel the beauty of island and I start imaging it. It makes me feel to wish to be there, to stand on the shore, and look back across the bay at the mainland.  The book evokes the desire to be alone and apart, and yet a part of everything surrounding. I don't think I would love to live on an island which boundaries I can see, but I would like to spend some time there before returning to my family and home. The story makes me think of the series "Lost" where people were stranded on a mystical island for a long time. The island had a capacity to travel through time and space.
I would have students find some of the describing words and phrases that engage our senses sight, smell, hearing and touch.  We would get some items from the nature and the students would try to describe them with more than one of their senses.   I would also have students point out to things that mark each season on the island. We would talk about the different animals that migrate to the island and their reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment