Saturday, June 4, 2011

When Marian Sang by Pam Munoz Ryan

As I read the story of Marian Anderson, who was one of America's greatest singers it make me think of all the racial discrimination black people experienced and the obstacles they had to overcome. I wonder why society created prejudices and stereotyping. Have we come out of those bad habits? It makes me think what can we do make our society even more progressive and eliminate racism and discrimination of any sort. Then I think of our president and it makes me happy that we have come so far on that road. I am so glad that we have our president. Not for the sole reason of him being a president because of his race but simply because we have come to understand that the color does not really matter. All that matters is common sense, wisdom, vision and will to lead nation forward.
I would divide students into small groups and have them share what they know about biographies and to record their ideas. After they are done we would match their ideas about this genre with the actual definition of  it. Then  I would have students write down what they know about African American struggles in the past.
We would learn about Jim Craw laws. Students would find inspiring sentences in the story that tell about Marian personality and would discuss them in small groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment