Saturday, June 4, 2011

Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin


Until reading this picture book I have never heard of Wilson Bentley. As I went through the story I developed respect for his persistence on doing what he really liked. I was also wondering how is exploration of the snowflakes going to result. Will he become famous and will the scientist hear of him. Those were my thoughts. The side panel in the book supplements the reader with additional facts about Bentley's life.  The story illustrates for me family love and character perseverance. Bentley had the vision to see that his photographs would  be his gift to the world.  To spend one's life trying to express something so complex, so perfect, so beautiful, and yet so fleeting and to do it with such appreciation, wonder and love is inspiring to me.
I would first talk with my students about snow, how snowflakes form and we would define some unique properties of snow. I would google Snowflake Bentley's photographs and print out two copies of the same photo and I would make many like those. Then I would have students match the same ones.  I would have them write the essay about things they really love doing, their hobbies and to state the reasons the hobbies make them happy and fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment